Salted Caramel Ice Cream

4 Jul

I got an ice cream maker awhile back – I tried it a couple times and made some decent ice cream. However – when I made this delicious treat, it finally paid off – in sweet, salted caramel spades.

I first got wind of this recipe from Tommy over at Egg Me On. I had been looking for a good ice cream recipe ever since I got this really cool ice cream maker. We made an initial batch of vanilla and then several weeks later I made a batch of homemade blueberry. The vanilla was pretty good – the blueberry had a really cool purple color, but not much blueberry flavor. It tasted like purple vanilla ice cream. Which is fine, I guess. If you’re Prince.

But I’m wanting to branch out and make some really funky flavor combinations. This salted caramel recipe – while not so much funky as just plain delicious – has shown me how freaking GOOD homemade ice cream can be. It’s made me all the more excited to try new flavors and come up with some interesting combinations.

Grazing in The City - Salted Caramel Ice Cream

If you need a delicious treat to eat by the pool, or to help enjoy the summer. Or to help beat the heat.

Grazing in The City - Salted Caramel Ice Cream

Or just a comforting treat for when you’re watching sad youtube videos and crying by yourself. Seriously, this ice cream can become your best friend.

Grazing in The City - Salted Caramel Ice Cream

Grazing in The City - Salted Caramel Ice Cream

I’ve copied the directions below directly from Egg Me On. Check the blog out for the original post and even more great recipe ideas. Enjoy!

Grazing in The City - Salted Caramel Ice Cream

Ingredients

• 2 cups whole milk
  • 1 tbsp + 1 tsp cornstarch
  • 3 tbsp softened cream cheese
  • ½ tsp sea salt
  • 1 ¼ cups heavy cream
  • 2 tbsp light corn syrup
  • 2/3 cup sugar

Directions

Start by mixing about 2 tablespoons of the milk with the cornstarch in a bowl to make a smooth slurry. Whisk the cream cheese and salt in a large bowl until smooth. Then mix the cream with the corn syrup in a measuring cup with a spout.

Heat the sugar in a saucepan over medium heat until it’s melted and golden amber in color. Keep an eye on the sugar, as it can burn quickly. Stir using a heatproof spatula. Remove the pan from the heat and slowly stir in a small amount of the cream and corn syrup mixture. It will fizzle and pop, so be careful. Continue stirring in the cream and corn syrup mixture until it’s all incorporated.

Return the pan to the heat and add the milk. Bring to a rolling boil and boil for 4 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat and gradually whisk in the cornstarch slurry. Place the pan back on the heat again and cook over medium-high heat, occasionally stirring with a spatula, until slightly thickened, about 1 minute. Then gradually whisk the hot caramel mixture into the cream cheese and salt until smooth. Cover with plastic wrap and chill in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour or until cold.

Place the mixture into your ice cream maker and freeze according to the machine’s instructions. Most machines take 20 to 40 minutes to make ice cream. When the ice cream is thick and creamy, place into a freezer-safe container (with piece of parchment paper between the ice cream and the lid) and let it harden for a few hours. Let it sit at room temperature for a few minutes before scooping, and then eat.

Advertisements

16 Responses to “Salted Caramel Ice Cream”

1. Arturo Féliz-Camilo July 4, 2012 at 11:04 am #

Yup, my kind of thing!

2. cravesadventure July 4, 2012 at 2:06 pm #

YUM:)

3. Rufus' Food and Spirits Guide July 4, 2012 at 6:48 pm #

In order to really be like Tommy, you’d need to have a really cheesy title. But hey a great ice cream works too.

• billpeeler July 6, 2012 at 1:45 pm #

LOL – that’s funny!

• egg me on July 9, 2012 at 9:58 pm #

Haha. Pun-free title aside, you did the recipe justice. I’m glad you enjoyed it so much. Nice looking pics! Thanks Bill!

4. Christine July 5, 2012 at 1:23 am #

Ooh, I love salted caramel ice cream — or salted caramel anything, for that matter! The best is when you take it juuuuust past where the caramel starts to smoke, so you get that truly deep, slightly bitter flavour.

As for blueberry, I’m kind of not surprised to hear that it didn’t turn out too well in ice cream form — blueberries don’t have a very strong flavour to begin with, so I think they’d make a better sorbet flavor. It’s great that you’re having fun with your ice cream machine! They’re so great. 🙂

• billpeeler July 6, 2012 at 1:44 pm #

Thanks, Christine – yeah that totally makes sense about the blueberries. I want to get into sorbets, so who knows – maybe I’ll come up with something better. And, yes – the ice cream maker is a LOT of fun —-

5. Eva Taylor July 5, 2012 at 7:22 am #

Caramel and salt are a combo made in heaven, Bill. I have the same ice cream maker and bring it out only a few times a year…this may be one of those times. Thanks for sharing such a tasty treat. Keep cool, I heard it was braking 100°F in the windy city!

6. sugaredpecan July 5, 2012 at 8:57 am #

This looks and sounds really yummy!

7. Sarah July 5, 2012 at 9:05 am #

Oh my. You have found the perfect ice cream recipe!! This is my favorite flavor of all, and I haven’t tried it in my ice cream maker yet. That’s just wrong. THIS is getting made as soon as I get the ingredients. Thank you SO much for finding and testing this one Bill! It’s much appreciated!

8. Jen @ Savory Simple July 17, 2012 at 2:43 pm #

I don’t know if there’s anything more rewarding than homemade ice cream. So So Good.

• billpeeler July 18, 2012 at 8:47 pm #

Totally agree – rewarding AND delicious!

9. Lan | angry asian July 30, 2012 at 9:36 am #

wait, prince likes vanilla dominated blueberry ice cream? how do you know this?

tho your ice cream concoction is full of dairy doom, i intrigued by the use of cream cheese. i’ve had my ice cream maker for awhile and i’ve been playing in the non-dairy playground, i think i might have to venture back into dairy doom land.

• billpeeler August 4, 2012 at 10:44 am #

Dairy-doom or not, the salted caramel is soooo worth it!