Cheesy Poblano Rice – Twice as Nice!

16 May

Rice is perhaps the most common food staple in the world. It’s the single most consumed cereal grain on earth, and it’s many varieties are used in different cuisines the world over. I’ve been known to stuff my fat face with fried rice, red beans and rice, and even Rice Krispies a time or two. This particular side dish, while it won’t feed the world, will certainly liven up that boneless, skinless chicken breast that’s taking up space in your freezer.

Even though this rice dish is decidedly more hispanic with the poblano, it pairs well with pretty much any protein-based main course. It’s super-easy to make as well, making this another good option for the middle of the week.

Grazing in The City - Cheesy Poblano Rice

Start by dicing up some garlic and a whole poblano pepper. Sautee that in some oil until nice and tender. Then add instant rice and stir constantly for several minutes. You’ll want the rice to start browning – but watch it carefully and stir a lot so it doesn’t burn. That would be just wasteful and lots of people all over the world could have used that rice, you know?

Grazing in The City - Cheesy Poblano Rice

So while you have the rice going, you’re going to have some water in the microwave. Heat it for at least 2 minutes – you want it  boiling hot. After you’ve fried the rice with the garlic and poblano for a good 5-10 minutes, remove the water from the microwave and slowly add it to the rice mixture. Careful not to splatter and burn yourself. Feel free to add chicken stock instead of water, or use a bouillon cube for extra flavor. I’m not the biggest fan of bouillon cubes, but not knock yourself out. Add some butter as well at this point.

At this point, cover the pan with a tight-fitting lid (tighter than Snooki’s pregnancy blouses) and let it stand for about 5-7 minutes. Long enough for all (or most of) the liquid to be absorbed. Once the liquid is absorbed – add some cream and cheese. I used monterey jack when I made this, only cause it’s what I had on hand. Pepper jack would be good here for an added kick, or most any cheese. The richer, the better, I say!

Give everything a good stir to combine, let it stand for a minute or so longer, while you fix your plates – and enjoy the most common food staple in the world. Now, doesn’t that feel good? Enjoy!

Grazing in The City - Cheesy Poblano Rice

Ingredients

• 1/4 cup vegetable oil
  • 1 whole garlic clove,minced
  • 1 whole poblano pepper, diced into small pieces
  • 2 cups instant white rice
  • 2 cups water
  • 1 cube chicken bouillon cube (optional)
  • 3 tbsp butter
  • 1/3 cup heavy cream
  • 1/2 cup (or more) of monterey jack cheese

Directions

Heat oil in a medium pan. Once oil is heated, add garlic and poblano and sautee for about 2-4 minutes, until tender. Add rice to the pan, stirring constantly for about 5-8 more minutes. Rice will begin to brown in the oil. Stir and watch carefully so it doesn’t start to burn.

While frying rice, place the water in a microwave safe bowl and heat for 2 mins, or until water is hot and boiling. After rice has fried for 5-8 minutes, carefully add the water from the microwave, stirring into the rice mixture – add slowly as it might splatter up into your face! Add chicken cube and butter, stirring more.

Cover pan with lid and let stand 5-7 minutes until water is absorbed.

Remove lid and add cream and cheese at the end, mixing well. Cover and let stand for a couple more minutes. Serve and enjoy!

24 Responses to “Cheesy Poblano Rice – Twice as Nice!”

1. Sarah May 16, 2012 at 10:32 pm #

Ohhhh this looks soooo good. Um, Bill? You’ve read my mind with this. And it’s a little scary that you have a video camera in my freezer…..but! I was looking for a rice recipe just today to go with those chicken breasts! Thank you for this! I love poblanos! I’m going with the pepper jack I think. Thanks for the very needed (for me) detailed instructions too. MUCH appreciated.

Tighter than Snooki’s pregnancy blouses….LOL!!!!!!!

• billpeeler May 21, 2012 at 7:30 am #

Yeah – I like a little heat, but after I removed all the seeds from the poblano, this dish was as mild as can be. So pepper jack would be good – maybe even add some hot sauce when you add the cream and cheese would give this a little spike. Hope you enjoy!

• billpeeler May 21, 2012 at 7:30 am #

2. thewhitetrashgourmet May 16, 2012 at 10:34 pm #

Sounds delicious. I never use instant rice because I guess I’m a snob about it but I bet I could mimic this in some fashion. My kids are huge rice fans and the BF brought a splendid Japanese rice cooker with him when he moved in. Oh and Snookie is pregnant? I’m so behind the times.

3. Arturo Féliz-Camilo May 17, 2012 at 8:45 am #

Is it too hot? Looks interesting but I wonder. :)

• billpeeler May 21, 2012 at 7:28 am #

Not hot at all – I took all the sides out from the poblano, and it was mild as can be —

• billpeeler May 21, 2012 at 7:28 am #

4. Crystal May 17, 2012 at 12:56 pm #

Is The Dish Hot? I like a LITTLE heat but don’t want to burn my goozle off!

• billpeeler May 21, 2012 at 7:27 am #

It’s actually not hot – I took all the seeds out from the poblano and it was very mild. I like a little heat also, so you might think about adding some hot sauce or a hotter pepper. Even pepper jack cheese. Hope you try it – just don’t burn your goozle!

• billpeeler May 21, 2012 at 7:27 am #

5. egg me on May 17, 2012 at 4:12 pm #

Certainly can’t beat cheese and spice! Nice looking rice, man. A lid tighter than Snookie’s pregnancy blouse — haha.

6. Eva Taylor May 18, 2012 at 2:45 pm #

I like the sound of this dish, Bill, except I think I would leave out the heavy cream. Have a great weekend.

7. Rufus' Food and Spirits Guide May 18, 2012 at 6:48 pm #

Rich and spicy, such a great combo.

8. sugaredpecan May 18, 2012 at 9:32 pm #

This looks amazingly delicious! I love all the different flavors in this. I will have to give it a try!

• billpeeler May 21, 2012 at 7:24 am #

It really was delicious – you will love it!

9. The Squishy Monster May 18, 2012 at 10:03 pm #

You had me at Poblano!! YUMMY!!!

10. Karista May 20, 2012 at 11:38 am #

Love love poblanos! And with cheesy rice, wow! Ok, definitely could cozy up with a dish of this. :)

11. sybaritica June 2, 2012 at 7:32 pm #

I could eat that all by itself but I bet it would go great with so many things!

• billpeeler June 4, 2012 at 9:56 am #

It certainly would – regular rice just doesn’t have the same appeal anymore. Much to the dismay of my waistline …..