Creamy Asparagus Soup

14 Apr

Growing up on a farm, having fresh-grown asparagus whenever I wanted was something I grew up accustomed to. It’s just how we rolled down on the farm, ya’ll. It has always been one of my favorite vegetables – if not my top favorite. And, fresh asparagus always heralds the arrival of Spring. That, and Bradford pear trees blooming. And irises blooming. And Passover. And Easter. And spring break . . .

I had the highest pleasure of helping host a birthday party a couple weeks ago. As a result, there was a lot of leftover asparagus afterwards. A LOT. It was delicious, perfectly prepared and presented with black and white sesame seeds. The caterer, who happens to be a great friend AND relative suggested making soup with the leftover asparagus. Simple to make and even better to eat, it certainly helped prevent so much great asparagus going to waste.

Grazing in The City - Creamy Asparagus Soup

Leftovers

To make the soup, I happened to have an onion on hand, so I diced up half of it and sauteed in some butter and added a little fresh chopped garlic in a large pot. Once this had sauteed for a short bit, I chopped all the asparagus, sesame seeds and all, in 1-2″ pieces (I set some of the tips aside for serving later) and added to the onion and garlic. I stirred it all up a couple times and once this had time to render, I added about 5 cups of chicken stock and brought to a slow boil, stirring often.

Grazing in The City - Creamy Asparagus Soup

Then I took my handy-dandy hand-held immersion blender and combined everything right there in the pot. Once everything was well blended and smooth, I added some cream and let it simmer awhile longer and that was it! I I really didn’t measure anything out – just eyeballed everything. I served it up with some of the reserved tips and a little more sesame seeds, which gave it a little texture and a slight nutty edge – it came out wonderfully!

Grazing in The City - Creamy Asparagus Soup

This Is How We Roll

Hope everyone is having a great spring and enjoying everything the season has to offer!

Grazing in The City - Creamy Asparagus Soup

Grazing in The City - Creamy Asparagus Soup

About these ads

12 Responses to “Creamy Asparagus Soup”

1. Rufus' Food and Spirits Guide April 14, 2012 at 1:51 pm #

I like how you roll!

2. Karista April 14, 2012 at 2:29 pm #

Yum! What a lovely and healthy spring soup! A lovely starter or light dinner with homemade crusty bread. Ok, now I’m getting hungry :)

3. egg me on April 16, 2012 at 7:45 am #

Great looking soup, man! I’m impressed that you just eye-balled everything. It seems so simple and sounds tasty. The sesame seeds are a nice touch.

• billpeeler April 21, 2012 at 9:47 am #

Thanks – it was fun to make like that and have it come out so well —

4. Sarah April 16, 2012 at 10:30 am #

That. looks. incredible!!!!! I love asparagus, and I appreciate you posting this Bill. What a terrific way to enjoy it. It sounds pretty easy too, bonus! The pretty pictures make me want to pull that bowl off my screen and have lunch! Thanks so much for this!!

5. Eva Taylor April 17, 2012 at 9:24 am #

I love asparagus soup too, Bill. I usually end up straining it through a fine seive so that the woody bits don’t get caught in my teeth! I would probably pass on the cream, but that’s just me. I really like the sound of sesame seeds and the asparagus. Lovely presentation too.

6. Eva Taylor April 17, 2012 at 9:25 am #

BTW I am not loving WordPress’ new commenting that you cannot leave your blog address in the name area. I’m going to have to figure out a way to bypass that! http://kitcheninspirations.com

Trackbacks/Pingbacks